Monday, August 15, 2005

Moving Forward

We took the weekend to think about the surgery and talk it over, and decided to proceed. Scott is hesitant, and with good reason. This surgery is not a solution, it's just the best option we have available. He would like for Sarah Kate to be able to make the decision herself, but we don't have the luxury of waiting for that day, since the surgery should be done before age 4.

I called the nurse clinician in Dr. Oakes' office to let her know of our decision. She told me that the doctors are "excited" about Sarah Kate. She also gave us a surgery date of January 4, 2006. Although it seems like a long wait, there are a lot of activities and procedures that we have to go through between now and then. The wheels are in motion, though, and we began to tell all of our friends and family about it. Almost instantly, emails and phone calls began to flood in - offers of assistance and promises of prayers.

One of the many responses that we received was from Amy D., Sarah Kate's former Sunday School teacher. She and her family have recently faced a surgery on their little one, and she had the following to share:

A song Jeff and I love by David Wilcox is called "Hold It Up to the Light." It's about facing life changing choices. A line in it says "God, if you gave me a vision, would I ever have reason to use my faith?" I think that is powerful and reminds me that I don't have to know all the details, because God has it all under his care. How awesome..

God has taken care of Sarah Kate every minute of her young life, including her rough and frightening beginning. I have faith that he'll continue to care for her during this new journey, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment