Thursday, August 11, 2005

Smiling at God

I know I'm going to get the question, so I'll just go ahead and answer it first. Why is the blog titled "Smiling at God?" When Sarah Kate was born, she spent her first 53 days in the NICU. Although it's not a choice I would ever make, I did witness many small miracles during our "sneak preview." One of those was what Scott and I termed "smiling at God." Sarah Kate was a very calm preemie, which was not the case for many of the tiny miracles. She would lie in her isolette and just look around as if she was taking in every detail. Although the doctors told us that her facial expressions were caused by an immature neurological system and that her vision wasn't good enough for her to be able to see very far beyond her own face, we could never accept it completely. On many occasions, Sarah Kate would lie on her back, looking straight up, and just begin to smile. We believed that she was smiling at God, and throughout her young life God has been smiling back at her.

"And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 18:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment