Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Big Day

We arrived at 8:30 and were greeted by 4 out of Sarah Kate's 8 grandparents (the other four are coming tomorrow), an aunt, and a staff member from our church. Later, we would be joined by my mom and stepdad's pastor and a close friend of Andi's. We had quite the cheering section!

While we were waiting, I heard someone call my name. When I turned to see who it was, it was a lady named Lisa that I met last spring from Huntsville. She had seen the WAFF 48 News health segment that featured Sarah Kate and then recognized us at the March of Dimes WalkAmerica (Sarah Kate is the division ambassador). We talked at length that day, because she has a daughter, Sophie, who is just a little younger than Sarah Kate with a similar condition. I saw her again over the summer, but I didn't have her number or know how to get in touch with her. As it turned out, her daughter was having the same surgery as Sarah Kate at that moment, and not only that, but she and her family are staying in the same apartment building as us! I was talking with her when she got the news that Sophie had done well with the surgery, and I can't tell you how much better I felt at that point, even though Sarah Kate hadn't even been taken back yet. The LORD has not only provided us with a place to stay and a peace in our hearts, but he also has given Sarah Kate and I each a companion with which to share this experience! Both of the daddies will have to return to work in just a few days, and then just us mommies and girls will be here.

Because Sarah Kate's was the second SDR case of the day, it was awhile before her surgery actually started. After some preliminary activities, they finally took her back around 10:30 for "giggle juice." She was wheeled back to the OR at 11:15, and was even able to take her I Love Jesus lamby with her. We received a call that the doctor had started around 12:15, and the surgery lasted for about two hours. The physical therapist came out first and was very encouraging. She did tell us that they may decide to do serial casting on her hamstrings next week just to make really sure that they are stretched appropriately as we head into the upcoming therapy. We had not expected to hear that, but that's just a part of this whole process.

Scott and I were allowed to go back and see Sarah Kate in recovery after 3 (she had her lamby right beside her when we arrived), and we stayed with her until 6pm with the exception of a brief period of time when they moved her to the PICU. Her face was a little bit puffy, but not bad, and she was having a tough time talking to us, but she seemed to be doing really well. You could tell that she was uncomfortable at times, but she didn't cry or get upset at all. She is such a tough cookie! We went back to visit from 8pm-10pm and then headed for the apartment.

One of my friends called me today and shared the verse I've included below. I felt it was appropriate to include here and I thank her, and all of our friends, for their prayers and support.
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. - Isaiah 40:11

No comments:

Post a Comment