Saturday, January 07, 2006

"Home" At Last

We are so thrilled to be out of the hospital and into our new home for the next few weeks! It's an older apartment building, but nicely furnished (particularly since it's free!) We have a quirky little through the wall furnace for heat ("quirky" = at times it requires some vigorous banging with a wooden spoon to get going good). We have two bedrooms; one has a double bed and the other has two twin beds. My mom brought some food to us (Paula Deen chicken pot pie - yum!), and Scott's mom brought some VHS movies and a bed rail for Sarah Kate.

Sarah Kate is doing well and really enjoying the fact that we are waiting on her hand and foot and she gets to watch whatever movie she wants whenever she wants to watch it. In fact, she told us more than a couple of times this morning that she wanted to stay at the hospital. Although her room was very nice and roomy as hospital rooms go, a vinyl trundle is not such a great bed for mom. I actually spent part of Friday night sleeping at the end of her bed.

Sarah Kate is still required to lie straight, though not necessarily on her back. She just can't twist or bend from the waist at all. The therapists will come on Monday morning to assist with sitting her up for the first time. Her therapy will begin on Monday and will be twice a day. We have a schedule of the first two weeks of therapy, but there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern of when, where, and with whom. She hasn't indicated that she is in any pain at all, and she is only taking OTC Tylenol and Motrin for pain.

I've received so many wonderful emails in the past few days and I hope to get a chance to respond now that things are settling down. I won't post people's full messages here, because they may prefer I keep them to myself, but I will share a few tidbits. Today I received two things I want to share, a hymn and a verse that touched me.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in his wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment