Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I Love Books

I love to read. When I was a kid, I would get up before my parents on Saturday mornings and read books. My mom would walk through the living room, speak to me, and head into the kitchen to fix breakfast. Later, I would walk into the kitchen and ask her when she had gotten up – I would be so engrossed in my book that I would never remember having spoken to her. It’s been tough since Sarah Kate was born to really focus my attention on a book like I did when I was a kid – it’s that maternal attention deficit that goes along with having a preschooler.

Retreating to the waiting area of the therapy office has given me a chance to catch up on some of my reading. I started a new book today – a history of the early church fathers, too, not speed reading fluff – and read sixty pages of it while Sarah Kate had therapy. The day had started out pretty well – she was well behaved and we actually went to the zoo for a couple of hours. She started up again, though, as soon as we drove into the Children’s South parking lot. She is still having control issues, although today she also was anxious about some of the exercises. She is very concerned about falling backwards, so anything that makes her feel as if she may fall is something she is strongly opposed to doing. She is doing well walking, however, and is getting much better with the canes.

I spoke with Lisa today about my conversation with B’s dad yesterday, and she agreed with him that Sarah Kate is very much like B at the same stage. She stopped short of stating directly that she expects Sarah Kate to walk independently, but she did comment on how similar they are and said “and just look at him now!” It gave me hope in spite of the difficulty.

Scott came down to be with us tonight, and we’ve had a good evening. We only have one more night on our own – my mother will be coming to stay with us Thursday night to help get the apartment cleaned and packed up, and we will be coming home on Friday. As much as I am looking forward to being home, in some ways I will almost miss being here. We have experienced so many wonderful blessings and witnessed so many changes in Sarah Kate that it’ll be a different world when we return home.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. - Psalm 84:11

No comments:

Post a Comment