Friday, January 20, 2006

No Doc, But We've Got Our Pillows

Today we started early again - 8:30 - but we didn't have to come back in the afternoon. Sarah Kate's session, though, was extra long; she was there for almost four hours. Part of the time was PT, and the other was OT. One of the big things she is working on in OT is learning how to dress herself - poor balance has always been a problem for her in that area. She worked very hard and shed a few tears, but they were the tears of exhaustion, rather than rage. She is getting much better about asking for what she wants ("I want to take a break"), rather than just crying without words. I asked one of the PT's about her progress today, and she told me that Sarah Kate is a little bit ahead of schedule (Praise the Lord!)

The last few minutes that she was there today, Lisa decided to try to get her to walk with quad canes. Sarah Kate clearly thought that she was finished working and wasn't too keen on doing anything else. She was very frustrated and cried a lot, but she did really well. She has used quad canes a little in the past, but never the "right" way, so she had to completely relearn how to do it. Lisa told me that they will really concentrate on walking with the canes when we come back next week.

We are at home now! We will be here for a couple of days and will go back for one more week of PT in Birmingham before we come home for good next Friday. We will still go to Birmingham once a week for several months and will have PT in Decatur on the other days. I am SO happy to be able to sleep in my own bed with my own pillow. Before we got home, Sarah Kate talked a lot about seeing her kitty, Doc, but he is still "visiting Ma" and won't be back until we are home for good. She mostly forgot about Doc, however, when she got home and reacquainted herself with the Christmas presents she hasn't seen for 2-1/2 weeks!

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. - Psalm 28:7a

No comments:

Post a Comment