Monday, January 09, 2006

Criss Cross Applesauce

It's hard to resist the feeling that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things have gone so well that I can hardly take it in. We started the day with an incremental progression into sitting upright. Although Sarah Kate whined a little each time we moved her, once she was settled in she was fine. At lunchtime, we moved her completely upright into her wheelchair and she ate lunch in it. She did look a little pale briefly, but once she got a little food in her she perked up. We got her to take a nap after lunch in preparation for this afternoon's therapy session.

Therapy went GREAT this afternoon. She started with about 30 minutes of heat on her legs, and moved on to rolling herself from front to back. It was a little unsettling for her, which is a common side effect of having sensory nerves cut. She has lost some spatial reference, although her brain will adapt and "rewire" the remaining sensory nerves. After that, the PT, Lisa, worked with her on sitting with her legs out to each side and also in a ring sit ("criss cross applesauce") position. She played in a sitting position for a while, and even resisted stopping to rest. She didn't cry at all, and whined very little throughout the whole two hour session. Lisa was very happy with her progress thus far.

While watching Sarah Kate playing in the ring sit position, I was almost speechless. She has never been able to comfortably sit in that position before, and it was incredible to watch. She looked so "grown up." Although today was only the first day, I am already so incredibly amazed by her progress.

I know I may sound like a broken record, but I am convinced that prayer works. So many of you have been praying and lifting us up, and I am certain that is why things have been going so smoothly. I have been taking photos throughout the experience (of course!) and I'll try to share them as soon as I figure out an easy way to do so. At the very minimum, I will create an album at the end of this part of our journey that documents all of the blessings that God has given us.

Today's verse from another friend:

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

No comments:

Post a Comment